Print Discount

Print Discount

Markup Review

While this site is validly able to lay claim to using HTML5 tags, the reality behind it’s implementation is quite different. Asides are used as functional blocks, it seems a find and replace has been done on the code to replace divs with sections! Layout of code is appalling with no hierarchy and little consideration for semantic markup or for that matter, any element of code design. Safe to say that whoever wrote this code, needs to go back and read a few books.

The <aside>’s in root, just have an image, which is an aside, yes but there is no aside information attached.
small-> container ,section> should be a div
Within ,<section id=”content”>: <article> should be <section> ( I dare say), but the ,<aside> in-there, definitely should be <article> and maybe <section> but not ,<aside>. and header should be used in there.
The real <aside> is the <section id=”rightpanel”>, which should have, header section etc. Like I say, very, very, very messy.

7 thoughts on “Print Discount

Neil Ormsby says
#

Yes I agree, I think most of us should read more books on the html5 mark up and gain much more knowledge.

But I find the more you read the big problem you have is that there is so much conflicting views by different individuals which can be confusing.

But I am led to believe it is still early days.

I must say this website has VALID HTML5 MARK UP, so it puts most of the other websites to shame.

So very well done for that.

I think you should mention if all html5 websites are VALID or not.

Regards. Neil Ormsby

Marija Zaric says
#

I think that this site has very confusing and heavy code. It is important for html5 website to be valid, but the most important is to understand and use html5 elements in right way. That’s way this gallery is good for learning html5 on real examples.
should be div at the top of the page, should also be div as it is a generic wrapper, three boxes with august offer, eco friendly, upload you files should be either section or article not aside, aside is rightpanel. I think that constructive critics are the best way to learn. “Learning never exhausts the mind.” – Leonardo da Vinci

Marija Zaric says
#

Marija Zaric says
#

I am writing this for three time because I don’t see in my comments that aside should be div at the top of the page and section should also be div as it is a generic wrapper.

Druiven says
#

Html5 is hard to validate. the elements are there for information, not if they are open and closed properly. Css takes care of how it looks. Elements must take care of what is the information within.

That is the difference with ol’ school html.

Fe. An ‘aside’, has information not directly related to the contents of a web-page. The word ‘aside’ says something about the information in it, not about it’s x and y position in a page

Neil Ormsby says
#

I love the html5 Gallery, and I have learnt so much from looking at the mark up and reading the notes on different websites.

Yes the layout is most important but I feel it is important also to have a validated mark up.

After all the: http://validator.w3.org/ is there for that purpose.
Also I use: http://validator.nu/

As for css it is more difficult because people are now using CSS3 and it does not validate like CSS2.1 does on my website.

I would be grateful if people check my mark up, and give me constructive criticism to help me progress further.

Regards. Neil

• Pingback: 40 Ultimate Creative Examples of HTML5 for Professionals | Passcomms Android

• Got something constructive to say?